NATO's top commander convened a videoconference earlier this week to facilitate possible contributions to support freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz, his spokesperson told Reuters, adding that this is not a NATO mission.

“Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe hosted a meeting of interested Allies at the chief of defense level on Wednesday, 19 Aug 26, in order to facilitate their possible contributions to support freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz," a spokesperson for the alliance's top commander US Air Force General Alexus Grynkewich said on Friday.

Plan not a NATO mission, spokesperson clarifies

"To be clear, this is not a NATO mission. But given NATO’s unique strengths in its ability to bring together Allies and understand the capabilities they bring to bear, it makes sense for NATO to facilitate in this way," the spokesperson added.

NATO allies have sought to avoid direct involvement in the Iran conflict, instead focusing on plans outside the alliance to reopen the strait, which before February carried about a fifth of all traded oil.

Commander of the US European Command Alexus Grynkewich speaks at an event organised by the US Mission to Belgium to mark the 250th anniversary of American independence, at Cinquantenaire Park, in Brussels, Belgium, June 28, 2026.
Commander of the US European Command Alexus Grynkewich speaks at an event organised by the US Mission to Belgium to mark the 250th anniversary of American independence, at Cinquantenaire Park, in Brussels, Belgium, June 28, 2026. (credit: NICOLAS ECONOMOU/REUTERS)

France and Britain have led efforts to build a coalition among roughly a dozen countries to guarantee safe passage through the ​strait once tensions ease or the conflict ​is resolved, though any long-term arrangement ⁠would ultimately require Iranian acquiescence.